3.20.2013

city

I have a great love for cities, especially cities with a waterfront. My sister and I spent this past weekend visiting our brother and sister-in-law in Vancouver, and its appeal grows and grows.



Whenever I spend time in other cities I think of my relationship with my hometown. Considering that I've lived in Calgary since I was born, I really don't know it all that well. I sometimes get lost downtown, there are whole neighbourhoods I've never set foot in, there are galleries and cafes and parks I haven't visited, there are nooks and crannies I've never bothered with.

What would happen if I spent more time and effort getting to know Calgary? Would I be more content living here? I have often stated my dislike for Calgary, but if I was intentional about giving it a fighting chance, maybe things would turn out differently.



We are all aware that relationships take work. It is easy to love Vancouver when you are a few minutes walk from Granville Island, Stanley Park, and the areas around Robson Street. It is easy to see the good side of Edmonton when the friend you're visiting has a penchant for finding perfect little cafes. It is easy to love Fernie when it is surrounded by mountains and filled with good friends. Somehow it is more difficult to love Calgary. Perhaps it is a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but I can't help but think it stems partly from a lack of exploration.


I visit other cities and all I do is explore. I walk and walk and walk and find the gems the city has to offer. Maybe it is time to start fresh with Calgary.

No comments:

Post a Comment