9.23.2013

club

    One day, I would like to be well-read. I'm not sure what that exactly looks like, but I'd like to get there. Is there a certain number of books to get through before one can be considered well-read? Or do I have to read only classics? What is a classic, anyways? Please tell me that being well-read has nothing to do with Oprah's book club, because if it does I'm giving up right now. So far my strategy has been "read, extensively".

   The problem is that I am usually at a loss as to what to read next. This has led to a large collection of Agatha Christie to fall back on. Don't get me wrong, I love Agatha and I love mysteries; I just know that there is a huge variety of books and genres out there that I could be reading instead of one murder mystery after another.

   It doesn't only happen with murder mysteries; I often find myself in the rut of familiarity. I want to read non-fiction, which turns into just reading Malcolm Gladwell. I want to a quick read, suddenly it's three months later and all I've read is comics. Same goes for science fiction, or young adult books, or my teenage Lord of the Rings phase. There comes a point every time when I am afraid I've forgotten how to read anything else. Am I going to read only Shakespeare for the rest of my life, or can I learn how to read lighthearted autobiographies? Series, thankfully, alleviate some of the feeling of missing out. Seven Harry Potter books means that I don't have to think about what I'm going to read next six times and I don't have to worry that I'm confining myself too much.  What a relief. 

   Fortunately, I have many book-loving friends who are always ready with suggestions. Many of my conversations eventually end up at what people have been reading lately, and I love to hear about it. If a friend gushes about a book I can be quickly convinced to read it, especially if I've just finished something.

   A few weeks ago, I had a very simple and fairly unoriginal idea. Why not start a book club? Not a we-meet-once-a-week-and-read-"The Ya-Ya Sisterhood" type of book club, but more of an ongoing literary conversation. I want to hear about what you've been reading. Have you learned anything from it? Do you think you'll read more from that author? What made you want to read it? What else are you planning on reading? How have the things you've read shaped your thinking?

   All this to say that I'm probably going to mostly post about books, and I'd like to hear from you as well. Give me some books to read.

   Just, please, I don't want to read Faulkner ever again.   

10 comments:

  1. I love talking books!! The best books that I have read lately have been YA. I absolutely loved Divergent and it's sequel, Insurgent, and also loved Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and The Fault in Our Stars. I highly highly recommend all of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I love YA fiction. I recently read 13 Reasons Why, and it blew me away. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
    2. I love YA!! I will definitely have to add that one to the list!

      Delete
  2. Here is what I have read recently, or am reading:
    Ramble On by Sinclair McKay - about the history of walking in the UK
    The Will of God as a Way of Life by Jerry Sittser - I don't think I soaked it all up the first time through so I'll probably read it again
    Jean Vanier, Essential Writings, compiled by Carolyn Whitney-Brown - very good, but skip the intro
    Chasing Francis by Ian Morgan Crow - which was recommended to me, but I didn't much like
    Taking the Leap by Cay Lang - about launching an art career. By no means have I completed it, but it seems rather useful
    Color for Painters by Al Gury - about 1/2 way through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing about Chasing Francis, I'd be interested in reading it.

      Delete
  3. Obviously I love this, and am always excited to hear what you're reading!

    One of the most notable books I read this summer was Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. A super interesting and non-dramatic look at nature vs. nurture in one person's life.
    Another gooder was Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner which was a good little Canadian traipse.
    And finally one that I've been thinking about since I finished it in the spring was Red Letter Revolution by Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing a lot about Red Letter Revolution, I think we recently got a copy at the library I work in.

      You always have excellent taste in books; I hear what you're reading and am immediately intrigued. I haven't heard of Nicholas Dickner but I'm curious now. I've been purposefully reading more Canadian authors.

      Delete
  4. Glynis!
    Man, I would love to sit and talk books. What a good idea.
    Currently I am reading a heck of a lot of "Human Anatomy: Third Edition" by McKinley and O'Loughlin, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have to take an Intro to Anatomy course.

    However, I am also trying to read "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie, and it is seriously, seriously good. Clever and captivating! Humourous and personal. I am loving it.

    And my last read was "The Suffering of God" by Terence Fretheim. It's heady theology and I read it for a book club. I would love other people to read to as well so that I could continue having conversations about it. He says some bold (and potentially controversial) things about God's character.

    Lastly, I saw that you are having a clothing swap. I love clothing swaps and am in need of a purge/renewal in the closet department, but sadly, I do not live in Calgary. Perhaps next time!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krista! It would be so awesome if you could come to the swap, I'll be sure to invite you to the next one!

      Next time I'm up in Edmonton we should have coffee and talk about books.

      Delete
    2. For sure! I would be pleased to do such a thing.

      Next time there is a swap, I will try to go out of my way to get there. I went to one here in the spring and came out with some real keepers.
      Best.

      Delete