7.18.2014

The Talented Mr Ripley / Patricia Highsmith


   ALRIGHT, so we all know that Matt Damon does a murder on Jude Law in the movie, right? We all know that one of Mr Ripley's talents is straight up braining people? I'm not spoiling anything for you? ALRIGHT GOOD.

   I went into this book knowing two things. 1: At some point, Tom Ripley kills Dickie Greenleaf. 2: Tom becomes Dickie. What I'm saying is, I basically knew The Whole Plot, but it didn't even matter. The story is tense as. AND there I was, sitting and reading, when I realized: I am sympathizing with a murderer. I am feeling his stress and apprehension. I am hoping the police don't catch on. Oh my goodness, I hope he doesn't get caught, am I a terrible person, I hate Tom but I want the best for Tom and at one point I shook the book and said "TOM! Go back to being Tom! They are going to get hip to your game any minute now!" I was giving futile advice to a fictional murderer. 

   Well, Patrica Highsmith, you've done your job well. Some might say TOO well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment