10.20.2014

"If people didn't try anything new we wouldn't have hardly any progress at all"


I know you're raring to find out what the movies are in this post and don't worry: I haven't forgotten you.
  1. Cat Ballou (1965)
  2. Dial M For Murder (1954)
  3. Escape Plan (2013)
  4. Notorious (1946)
  5. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
   These were all enjoyable, clearly in different ways. You can watch all of them. In this post, though, I'm only going to talk about that overlooked gem of cinema: Cat Ballou, and then I'm going to talk about something completely unrelated. Oh, Cat Ballou. First off: this movie has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes last time I checked and it deserves it. It is hilarious to the nth degree, and blissfully quotable. SO QUOTABLE. Here is a short list of events that take place in Cat Ballou:
  • Barn dance
  • Barn dance fight
  • Train robbery
  • Murder most foul
  • Several tantrums
  • SINGING NARRATION BY NAT KING COLE
   Obviously, it's great. Go and watch it, and then celebrate your new found "I will watch this at least once a year" movie. I mean, come on: Nat King Cole as a singing narrator.

   OKAY, I am not super into writing about movies right now so here is something else I've been thinking about, and that thing is a Postal Book Club. Not postal as in "going postal", but postal as in "posted in the mail". Here's how it works: a few people join form the club and they each choose a book and keep it a secret from the other club members. They read the book, write their thoughts (and things like why they chose the book and so on) in a notebook, and then pack both the book and the notebook and mail them to the next person in the club. The books make the rounds through all the people in the club until they make it back to the person who chose it, who then has the book and the notebook with everyone's thoughts. It all sounds delightful.

   I want to be a part of a postal book club and I want to know if you want to be in one with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment