2.18.2015

Murder Is Easy / Agatha Christie



   Dear Agatha,

   I know we've had this conversation before, but could you ease up on the red herrings? I get that it's this big ol' thing for you, leading the reader astray, but I really am astounded by the sheer number of times you use the device, especially in Murder Is Easy. Once or twice is fine, sure, but this one went way beyond that. Were there five? Six? It was so many that I lost track. Practically every person in the village had the crime credited to them at some point.

  Anyways, I knew it couldn't be the one guy because there was too much initial suspicion and I knew it wasn't the second guy because he was just creepy, not murderous. Also, I hope that wasn't your attempt at being all "wink wink, nudge nudge, he's totally gay" because if so, wow you are rude and not subtle. I mean really. "Mincing step"? Come on.


   By the time it was wrapping up I knew it couldn't be the person they thought it was because:
a) there was too much book left;
b) it didn't make sense; and,
c) you put way too much emphasis on the whole "the murderer must be a _____" business when clearly Ms Pinkerton didn't even mention it.

   I think I've pretty much got your formula down by now and it goes as such: "who is the least likely to have committed the crime? They totes did it." It's surprisingly simple, really. I'm glad to say I figured out who the culprit was this time, and that this book was far less frustrating than, say, And Then There Were None, don't even get me started. It also lacked a certain mustachioed individual who everybody dislikes deep down because he is pompous beyond words, so that was a bonus.

you know it's true

    Do you remember that one interview where you talked about getting ideas and titles for books? I will pretty much forgive you anything because of how you talked about eavesdropping.

   Sincerely,

   Glynis

   p.s. I will forever love Tuppence, Tommy, and Miss Marple, even if some of your other books are duds.

   p.p.s. why did you publish so many books with multiple titles? Are you trying to make my life miserable?

No comments:

Post a Comment