5.03.2015

The Sisters Brothers / Patrick deWitt



    At last I have finished reading The Sisters Brothers and I have some FEELINGS about it and they are mostly that EVERYONE SHOULD READ THE SISTERS BROTHERS STAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

   Who knew that a old west book about two murderers would be so beautiful? I would start quoting bits of it here but then it would pile up and up and up until this post was just the entire text of the book.


   The other day I was at a friend's house watching Daredevil, and we were both exclaiming over how great it is to see a show put effort into humanizing its villains. They aren't just blandly and inexplicably evil. WELL, The Sisters Brothers has a pair of enforcers/executioners at its center and wow. Just wow. I feel like I can't do this book justice. It is so perfectly written! When Eli talked about everyone being subject to suffering I just about cried.

   So far this post is quite effusive but I'm not really saying much but just BELIEVE me on this one: this book is pure gold from start to finish and everyone should read it. I don't know why it took me so long to get to it, since bloggers have been gushing about it since it came out and I've been seeking out good Canlit and I super enjoyed both True Grit and Neverhome which are similar in style/execution. There were constant highlightable sections and the mood was perfect and even Tub the horse was excellently characterized.

   I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THIS BOOK, THAT IS HOW MUCH I LOVED IT.
my sentiments exactly
   ALSO Patrick deWitt looks like one of those TV villains who you only realize is the bad guy near the end of the show and it just blows you away because HOW COULD HE BE BAD but then you look back on the season and it dawns on you that he was pulling all the strings all of the time and your eyes are opened. Maybe he lives in Portland now but I am claiming him for the True North Strong and Free. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, these are all appropriate Sisters Brothers feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've told three people a day that they need to read it since I finished. So good.

      Delete
  2. Alice loves this book and hence I have been assuming that I would not, cause we have opposite tastes. (Plus cause it is a Western and that's not my jam.) But all the raves, I find them difficult to resist.

    (Don't make fun of me but is that Kristen Stewart or Emma Watson? Or some third totally different person? I am bad at face recognition but it feels like Kristen Stewart's face does not do that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is bizarrely good. Like it shouldn't be as good as it is. BUT IT IS. Somehow.

      (Emma Watson, and while I'm sure Kristin Stewart's face has un-mined depths I still chuckled at your joke)

      Delete