8.24.2015

"WITNESS ME"


   Movies! I love them. Last year I said "I watch too many movies," and set a goal of watching fewer than 52 movies, which I did. I set the same goal for this year, but I have a feeling I'm going to go over and I am okay with that.

   Here are the movies from the previous post!
  • Austenland (13)
  • Guys & Dolls (55)
  • Jurassic Park (93)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (15)
  • Much Ado About Nothing (12) 
    Austenland was REALLY silly but also fun and I laughed a good deal. My cousin told me about it, and said that she loved it so much she watched it three times in quick succession and I was in need a a fluffy, funny movie and this one fit the bill. Jane loves Jane Austen and goes on a trip to a place called Austenland and hi-jinks ensue. And I mean, come on, Jane Seymour? Bret from Flight of the Conchords? It's a good flick. Here is the trailer.

   Did you know that Marlon Brando starred in a musical with Frank Sinatra and that it was the best? Go out and watch Guys & Dolls, at your soonest opportunity, you will not be disappointed. PLUS, will you have heaps of new songs to sing? Yes. Worth your time. (All these movies are worth your time.)

   I went to see Jurassic Park at a free drive-in theater with my boyfriend, and it was equal parts fun and exasperating. Fun parts: Jurassic Park itself! Eating din, playing crib, and watching a movie with my boyfriend! Not as fun parts: arriving in a huge traffic jam line at five for a movie at nine-thirty! That's basically it. I recommend Jurassic Park and drive-in theaters, but maybe not free ones that a zillion people are trying to get to while a zillion other people are trying to use those same roads to get home from work.

   If you haven't seen Mad Max you are missing out big time on a minute-by-minute basis. BIG TIME. Who knew a movie that is basically entirely made up of a car chase could be more subtle in it's treatment of gender and class than a HEAP of the other movies I have seen??? AM I RIGHT. I am right. It's so good. Not only did I want to peel out of the parking lot after seeing the movie I ALSO had a ream of things to think/talk about and use as examples when discussing things like sexualization, representation, and agency in movies. YES. MAD MAX FOREVER.

   Last but not least, Much Ado About Nothing. See it, it's great. I love Shakespeare, I love Joss Whedon, I love this movie.

3 comments:

  1. Aaaaa I cannot wait to watch Mad Max at last! I couldn't watch it when it was in theaters because people kept describing it as "a sensory assault" which frankly sounds like something I'd prefer to experience in a living room rather than on a huge enormous noisy screen. But I am looking forward to reading it now that I can see it in a format that won't sensorily assault me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're someone who goes into sensory overload, not seeing it in theaters was definitely a good choice. It was almost too much for me. VERY LOUD, non-stop. BUT DON'T LET THAT KEEP YOU FROM SEEING IT NOW BECAUSE IT'S AMAZING.

      Delete
  2. Watching Mad Max in theaters was a mad experience in itself! I just remember numbly leaving the theater still shell-shocked from the loud explosions, beautiful cinematography, and insane amount of violence and hijinks... but as epic as the movie was, I have no desire to watch it again, because I feel like watching it on an ipad or tv set will somehow cheapen the sensory overload from when I watched it. (does that even make sense?)

    ReplyDelete