3.04.2016

February's Reading


   I feel much better about February's reading, even though I didn't finish any more books than I did in January. But! I am mid-way through a handful of others, and feel more excited about reading in general. I'm counting February as a good reading month. Thank goodness for comics to put an end to reading-disinterest. 

   The books:
  • Treasure Island!!! / Sara Levine - I wrote a review of this book, it was an excellent read.
  • Rat Queens, vol. 2 / Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch - more shenanigans, more hijinks, more backstory, a little more of a jumble than volume 1.
  • Giant Days, vol. 1, issues 5-10 / John Allison, Lissa Treman/Max Sarin, et al. - are you reading John Allison yet? ARE YOU? He writes web comics, and Giant Days is the continuation of a story he started on his site. His writing is excellent and heartfelt and his comics are great, READ THEM. (He does the art for the web comics, someone else does the art for Giant Days)
  • Y: The Last Man, vol. 4 / Brian K. Vaughan - I didn't really like this volume the first time I read it and I didn't really like it upon reading it again. Onward and upward, I guess. 
    I'm not sure if you went and immediately started reading Bad Machinery and Mordawwa: Queen of Hell and Bobbins by John Allison but if you didn't you should read this thing he said about the next issue of Giant Days: "It’s not as out there as issue 11 was, but it does feature the constant threat of wolf attack, and the most gloves ever to appear on panel in a direct market comic book." Constant threat of wolf attack. ARE YOU CONVINCED YET? Just read his comics! You will be doing yourself a favour.

   Okay, there's a lot on his website to try to sort through right away, so HERE is a link to the beginning of one of the early Bad Machinery cases (please read it and grow to love Charlotte Grote as much as I do)(did I mention that Bad Machinery is about friendship and mystery-solving and sometimes aliens?). Maybe start there, or with one of the other cases, an archive of which you can find HERE, if that link decides to work properly.

4 comments:

  1. Rat Queens! I have vol 2 out from the library now and am planning to read it in my next big batch of comics readings. I anticipate excellent hijinx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! There are many excellent hijinx, mixed in with several heartfelt moments. It didn't feel as tightly directed as the first volume, but still VERY GOOD.

      Delete
  2. I've noticed a marked decrease in my comic-reading this year. Possibly because last year was The Year of Discovery and I zipped through a bunch of them, and possibly because Hamilton took up ALL MY READING TIME THROUGH FEBRUARY, but still. I think I've only read some Chew volumes so far. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I completely lost interest in Chew at volume 4 and gave up on it.

      Delete