2.03.2014

plays/concerts 2013

   How could I have forgotten that besides tracking books and movies I also kept track of concerts/plays/etc in 2013??? Who knows. I made a note on my phone to write some quick thoughts about a concert I attended last week when I realized: I have a list of these from last year. I honestly think keeping these lists is a valuable habit. You cement that event in your memory when you jot down a few things about it, and you can go back and see what you did, and monitor your media intake! Positives all around. 

   Anyways, in the order I saw them:
  • Spamalot, Front and Center Players at Pumphouse Theater, January 16 - This was just as funny and crass as you would expect it to be. 
  • Gaslight, Vertigo Mystery Theater, January 29 - Delightfully stressful. Vertigo keeps pumping out winners.
  • CPO at the Library, February 4 - This has proved to be one of the best programs the library has hosted. It's an ongoing collaboration; the CPO sends a couple musicians to put on several small, free concerts in various libraries throughout the year. I highly recommend that you attend as many as you can.
  • AmaLuna, Cirque du Soliel, April 25 - Absolutely decadent and thrilling. I'd seen one Cirque performance before, but this surpassed it in every way.
  • The Drowsy Chaperone, Cappuccino Musical Theater, May 16 - If you ever have the chance to see this play: do it. It is genuinely hilarious. Even if you don't like musicals. 
  • Noah Gundersen (opened by Daniel Blue), The Triple Door, Seattle, June 21 - I drove twelve hours through an oncoming flood to see this show and it was 100% worth it. 
  • Les Miserables, Broadway Across Canada, July 2 - The set alone made this one of the best musicals I've seen, never mind the fantastic music and acting and costuming. 
  • Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare in the Park, July 11 - Okay, here is where I admit that I'm noooooot super fond of this play. It's good, but Shakespeare wrote so many plays that were so much better. Nevertheless, SITP is always enjoyable.
  • David Bazan, house show, Edmonton, September 12 - Beautiful and honest and lovely. There were about 30 people there and we were in a magical gem of a log-cabin-ish house on the edge of a ravine. House shows are great. 
  • Improv Theater Sports, Rapid Fire Theater, Edmonton, September 13 - Well, I went to improv for the first time ever and they made a play about my life and it was HILARIOUS. 
  • Vintage Hitchcock: A Radio Play, Vertigo Theater, November 26 - I have am undying love of Hitchcock, so when I heard that Vertigo was doing a play of a old-timey radio show complete with Foley work I was allllll over it.
   And there you have it. I keep thinking of things I want to record. Movies! Books! Plays! Concerts! What else??? TV shows? That would get embarrassing fast. How many different crime procedurals can one person watch? The answer: many.

No comments:

Post a Comment