9.16.2014

26-30, the titles


   The films from this post are as follows:
  1. Cool Runnings (93)
  2. Hanna (11)
  3. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (09)
  4. Nordwand (North Face) (08)
  5. X-Men: Days of Future Past (14)
   I recommend them all.

   I had never seen Cool Runnings before, and I had no idea such a gem of a film was missing from my childhood. It was hilarious. Also: Calgary in the nineties was hilariously teeny tiny. But let's face it: it is still quite small and its size is primarily suburban sprawl. What is up with you, Calgs?

   Hanna, oh how I love Hanna. The music in this film is genius. I saw it in theatres when it first came out, and have watched it a couple of times since. Can we all just agree that her escape from the underground whatever is one of the best escape sequences ever? I would compare it to the bank heist scene from Heat. Does that make sense? Heat is to bank robbery as Hanna is to escaping from underground governmental outposts.

   I was drinking ginger beer while watching Harry Potter with a good friend so clearly that experience was an all-around positive one.

   Do you want to watch a movie that you know is going to end badly but you still watch the whole thing and then you do some wikipedia-ing and then you have sad feelings and then you kind of want to watch it again immediately and you also recommend it to all your friends, even the ones who don't like subtitles (it's in German)? Then allow me to put Nordwand forward as a viewing option for you. It is excellent. It made me feel cold. It made me want to climb some rocks. Also: all the German movies I've seen have hit the ball out of the park; good work, Germans. Also again: this film is based on a true story and it is heart breaking.

   There's not much to say about X-Men beyond "I love Jennifer Lawrence" and "woot woot, X-Men" and "what happened to your arms, Hugh Jackman, are arms even supposed to be that huge?"

No comments:

Post a Comment