3.31.2015

Villette 27-33, "I wish you were at Jericho"


   WOW, can we talk about M. Paul? SIR WHAT IS YOUR DEAL.


   M. Paul, as he is played:
  • Lends books and gives chocolate! Adorable!
  • Cuts pages out of the books that he doesn't want Lucy to read? WHAT?
  •  Helps Lucy learn math! So nice!
  • Yells at her for learning and says that women shouldn't be intelligent? WTH?
  • Gracefully accepts gifts that others would sneer at. (Sort of)
  • Throws a tantrum when one person doesn't acknowledge his birthday with a bouquet fast enough? Excuse me?
  • Genuinely apologizes when he's been in the wrong! Refreshing!
  • Is SO OFTEN in the wrong what with hissing insults in her ear at parties and being, in general, a dick. 
  • Also sees Ghost Nun! Lucy Snowe ain't mad!
  • Spies on everyone in the school for girls that doesn't have curtains in a major way. NO THANK YOU. 
  • Acknowledges that Lucy isn't "inoffensive as a shadow"! Hooray!
  • Is SUPER OPPRESIVE, ugh 
  • Tells Lucy she looks nice in her pink cotton picnic dress, CUTE
  • PINCHES her EAR, ach NEIN
   I am of two minds regarding M. Paul and they are diametrically opposed. He is basically two people. One is perceptive and thoughtful and the other is just the woooorst. He covers her with a shawl when she's sleeping and gives her a pillow BUT he only knew she was there because he was prowling about and then expected recognition for taking care of her. I just...I just do not understand.

this is how I feel about you, M. Paul
BUT ALSO LIKE THIS UUUUUUGH

   Did any of you read any of the Elsie Dinsmore books when you were young? My sister loved them and I hated them, because that idiot Elsie had zero faults beyond sometimes blotting her ink and was simpering and sweet and yet people didn't appreciate her but of course she bore it well. GUESS WHO REMINDS ME OF ELSIE DINSMORE, it's Paulina. Paulina! she's a ne'er-do-bad and she is perfect and is better at everything than everyone else, including speaking French, carrying on conversation, and of course looking good. I feel so thoroughly sorry for Ginevra, and am so thoroughly fed up with Paulina. ALSO I just now noticed that there's a Paulina and there's a Paul and maybe that's meant to symbolize something?

Paul? Paulina?
   And even though Polly is so flawless, and not in a Beyonce way, she still feels like she has to change all sorts of things about herself in order to please Dr John and aaaaaggghhhh I dislike EVERYONE this week. M. Paul is at one moment sweet and kind, then turns awful. Ginevra is all sadness and regret. Paulina is just TOO MUCH. Dr John insists on himself and his whims. AND NOW it seems like M. Paul will be leaving and Lucy Snowe is by turns crying over his leaving and panicking when he wants to talk with her. Hoooooo boy.


P.S. my post next week might be sub-par, because I am going to Skaha in BC to climb HELLA rocks, and it is a venture not conducive to much effective reading/blog writing.

damn RIGHT
(I wish I could climb like this)(or take photos like this)

8 comments:

  1. Oh my GOD, I forgot that he cuts pages out of books before he gives them to Lucy. That made me so angry, it was going to be the centerpiece of my M. Paul rant, and then I forgot about it because he did so many other insane things in this section. I had to read that passage twice because at first I was sure I had misunderstood it (like, maybe she meant that he cut the book pages for her? thoughtfully? so she wouldn't have to deal with uncut book pages?), because it was such a crazy thing to do.

    DO NOT FALL FROM THE ROCKS PLEASE. It sounds super perilous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought!! Initially I was all "oh that's so thoughtful! Cutting the pages for her so she doesn't have to have the hassle while she's reading!" and I was all proud of my old-timey book knowledge UNTIL I realized he was censoring what she can read even though he has read it. ACK.

      Fear not! We've got all sorts of ropes and harnesses and carabiners and fancy knots. Ain't no thang.

      Delete
  2. Ahahaha I love this whole thing. But especially your list.

    Also I didn't pick up on the Paul/Paulina thing OOPS.

    I AM SO IMPRESSED BY ROCK CLIMBING and I super want to do it but doing it for the first time sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Paul/Paulina won't end up signifying anything but I am still intrigued. Did CB just...run out of names?

      Rock climbing is the BEST and I encourage you to give it a go.

      Delete
  3. "He covers her with a shawl when she's sleeping and gives her a pillow BUT he only knew she was there because he was prowling about and then expected recognition for taking care of her." - ahaha this. OMG M. Paul, you are the worst

    Ginevra though, she is great and hilarious and I heart her.

    HAVE FUN CLIMBING ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Like "oh, you look like you might be chilly. I'll put a shawl on you but when you wake up you'd better realize it was me who did it and shower me with gratitude." What? So selfish. Apparently M. Paul can't be kind for the sake of being kind, even to Lucy.

      I think I'll come out of this readalong thinking that Ginevra is the best and everyone else can suck it. CB will probably make her die from dancing too hard or something though.

      THANKS, I sure as heck will.

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha we both had to bullet-point M. Paul. He is a man who requires bullet points. But I'd like to point out that he ONLY spies on the girls when they are outdoors in the garden...oh god, look at the excuses you have me making for you, M. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught myself more than once making excuses for M. Paul. M. Paul! Why you gotta be like that??

      Delete