4.01.2015

Mort(e) / Robert Repino


   If you are looking for an even-handed and well thought out discussion of what religion looks like in dire circumstances and where the line between devotion and extremism is, don't read this book. This book is not, shall we say, nuanced in this area. BUT if you are looking for a story of giant ants taking over the world with the help of anthropomorphic animals, then get on board.

   One day Mort(e) isn't Mort(e) but Sebastian, dutiful house cat, and the next day he is suddenly sentient! What could it mean?! It means there is a giant colony of giant ants who are determined to wipe out all humans. Although there are things that make the suspension of disbelief extra difficult in the story (if someone grew from cat size to human size overnight, it would be so painful), and it seems that Repino has a very simplistic view of religion, it's still a good read. Let's just say that as soon as an author even hints at a group functioning with hive mind I freak the hell out because hive mind is my favourite science fiction device in the world*. Hive mind covers over a multitude of sins. Maybe it sounds like Repino read a bit of Marx and came across "religion is the opiate of the people" and just RAN with it, but I mind so much less when there are awesome ants who function as many parts of one giant unit.

   The book has a narrow viewpoint when it comes to religion, and it doesn't quite convince on the science, but on the whole I enjoyed it and expect others would as well. It's a science fiction book about a war between humans, ants, cats, and other creatures. MOSTLY it's about a cat who is searching for his dog friend and the war that gets in the way of his quest.

   This book is like a mash up of We3 (which I didn't really like but I think about a lot), and Watership Down. Actually, add in Blacksad (which might be all about animals but is definitely not a book for children) and viola: you've got Morte(e), except it isn't a comic book, as these comparisons may lead you to believe. Short chapters, quick pacing, giant ants. Plus there's hive mind, so, you know.




   *There have been multiple times when I've been watching/reading science fiction and have said excitedly "OMGOSH THEY PROBABLY FUNCTION AS A HIVE MIND!!!!!" and I'm usually wrong but I alllllways want it to happen, but it doesn't and it's upsetting. Repino writes hive mind really well and it makes me so happy. When I was reading Ender's Game I definitely shook my book and said, "All you have to do is kill the Queen and the rest will just die! They think with her brain!" and so on.

2 comments:

  1. WHY IS THERE A CAT AND A DUCK DON'T PUT THE CAT NEAR THE DUCK

    Did you ever watch Empire of the Ants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite part of the gif is when the duck pauses to take a dump.

      I have not! Does it feature hive mind??? Is it sci-fi, or some sort of ant documentary?

      Delete