4.27.2015

PMA

   Yesterday I went rock climbing, had birthday dessert for one of my little brothers, and went to one of my older brother's houses and watched a short documentary about New York hardcore. It was a big day.

   I got my hand caught between the rope and the rock while lowering off of my last climb of the day yesterday, and while it is now swollen and blue-ish, I'm very glad it's not broken. People sometimes ask me or the people I climb with if we are afraid of falling and dying, to which I always say no (and sometimes do a little explaining about how safe climbing is with proper gear and knowledge). What I am afraid of is falling and breaking my ankles, or doing significant damage to my hands. It is weirdly reassuring to be high enough up to know that "if I fall here, I will not be maimed and waiting for rescue, I'll just be dead" whereas if I broke my hand badly or lost a finger or broke my ankles, I'd have to at best refrain from climbing for weeks or months, and at worst have my ankles fused and never climb again. There are people who go to the same climbing gym as me who are missing fingers, so I'm not too concerned about that. You can re-train your hands. It's the ankles, really, that worry me. However, my hand is fine and we are cautious climbers, so all is well.  

   Hardcore may not be your thing, but regardless of your music tastes you should probably watch this documentary. It is great. Watch it especially if you are interested in underground music movements, or straightedge, or what people do after having been in the hardcore scene.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's kind of like metal stylistically? Except more like punk. There's lots of yelling, and moshing, and stage-jumping. It's loud.

      Delete