10.09.2015

Monkalong Week 2: "derogatory to her Ghost-ship"



   I am late! and gif-less :( But I am posting nonetheless. This delightful readalong is hosted by the equally delightful Alice.

   Hoo boy, can the marquis ever spin a yarn. Pages and pages and pages of yarn. Too much bandit yarn, too much. It was all pretty clear from the get-go that he had fallen in with a couple of guys who were up to no good. We didn't need 1000 pages of it, and what about the servants who were all killed? We just...don't care...about them???

   I have some QUESTIONS re: this crazy book:

  • At what point in history is all this meant to be taking place? Contemporary to MLew? 
  • Was the Mogul guy Cain? He was Cain, right? I'm pretty sure he's Cain, complete with the mark of Cain. 
  • Why are all the hot chicks 15 years old? 
  • How does Chistoval feel about Loz calling the marquis "my dearest and indeed my only Friend"? Tsk. You have more friends than that, Loz.
  • Why are all the nuns evil except Agnes who doesn't want to be a nun? 
  • Does MLew have ANY idea of how long the human gestation period is? He says that "several months" go by, and none of the nuns have been like "oh, Agnes, you have a tell-tale belly"??
  • Elvira is perceptive and cool, right? A surprisingly good mom? 
  • Don't Catholic nuns have to...obey the Pope? 
  • We all know that Agnes ain't dead, right? 

   I am definitely skimming the hell outta all the poetry, because I Cannot Be Bothered. Even if writing verses is the ONLY THING that could possibly keep someone awake until the wee hours of morning. But from Raymond's reaction to Theodore's I am assuming they are somewhat prophetic, as is MLew's M.O. ALSO wrapped up in Raymond's reaction to the poetry is what I assume is a dig at any future critics of his MASTERWORK: "An Author, whether good or bad, or between both, is an Animal whom everybody is privileged to attack; For though All are not able to write books, all conceive themselves able to judge them" and so on. WE GET IT, MATTHEW, YOU'RE THE BEST. 

   What will the next chapters hold?? Don't get too excited, you might break a blood vessel and die in the course of a a few hours, or you might be "seized with a poetical paroxysm" and we can't have that.

10 comments:

  1. "How does Chistoval feel about Loz calling the marquis "my dearest and indeed my only Friend"? Tsk. You have more friends than that, Loz." I was so annoyed at Loz about this!! Like, what about your wingman that now is going to have to fend of Leonella for the rest of his life. WHAT ABOUT HIM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, me too! Nice friend you are, Lorenzo.

      Delete
    2. RIGHT? Christoval is the BEST, and clearly smarter than most of the other men in this book. "You're going to tell me a secret that could include me in some crazy plot? NO THANKS, I'm OUTTA HERE." Christoval for President.

      Delete
  2. Why are all the hot chicks 15 years old?
    Here's hoping because the author is only 19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does help with the optics somewhat, but he ALSO writes about all the older ladies having the hots for all the younger dudes. MLew, what is your deal.

      Delete
  3. IS THE WANDERING JEW THE SAME AS CAIN? This is what I was wondering. Should probably google that.

    I think nun robes're like, pretty billowy, right? So maybe she could hide it.

    THANK YOU FOR ALSO QUOTING THAT AUTHOR THING only I thought it was the best because it is truuuue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAIT JEAN AT HOWLING FROG HAS ANSWERED THE WANDERING JEW QUESTION ON HER BLOG

      Delete
    2. HOW DID I HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF THIS WANDERING JEW THING? THANK GOODNESS FOR JEAN.

      Nuns habits: good for hiding pregnancies. Like in Pushing Daisies!

      Delete
  4. I like Elvira too. I hope she doesn't die. (She's probably going to die.)

    I think Lewis knows his book isn't very good and he's already defensive about it before he's even published it. He should have just embraced the terribleness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AGNES IS DEFINITELY NOT DEAD. Except Jean at Howling Frog Books proposed a theory that Agnes IS dead and will return as a second iteration of the Bloody Nun ghost -- and that's such a good theory that I am rethinking my position on Agnes's deadness.

    ReplyDelete