5.02.2016

Reading in April (and March)



   I definitely forgot to do one of these at the beginning of April, so here we have BOTH April AND March's reading: 
  1. Y: the Last Man, vol. 5 / Brian K Vaughan - It's good enough for a reread but not so good as to be stunning. Some problematic stuff but as we know, all of your favourites are problematic. 
  2. Burn for Burn / Jenny Han, Siobhan Vivian - This is fine but not super memorable. I don't feel the need to finish the trilogy. 
  3. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society / Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows - I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob. 
  4. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? / Maria Semple - A strong contender for top five books of the year. So good. If you're putting off reading it, please don't for your own good. 
  5. The Accident Season / Moira Fowley-Doyle - Bit weird. I wanted more of some things and less of other things. It was fine. The reader for the audiobook has an Irish accent, it's grand. 
  6.  Giant Days, issues 11-12 / John Allison, et al. - Continues to be excellent
  And that's it. Not much for two months but life has been full. May's reading is mostly things about the Canadian North, gender and consumerism, TV theory (fun!), and media relations (boring!). BUT I am currently partway through Wish Her Safe At Home and it's great and I have the first volume of Genius out from the library so all in all, my reading will be fine. I'll be done my degree at the end of May (LORD WILLING, AGH SO MUCH WORK TO DO) and in June I am going to read hella books. July I'm taking a trip to Denver and guess what, hella books then too. 

   Just realizing now that my non-fiction has been pretty sparse so far this year. I guess I should get into it. I've already given up on a book that I though was about the Black Death but was ACTUALLY about climate change in Medieval times, so I should probably replace that one with some more non-fiction. 

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Genius and also yay for the rest of your reading AND, I have just learned, Maria Semple has a new book out in the fall. So, huzzah! You've read Where'd You Go Bernadette at just the right time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the summary for Maria Semple's new book and it sounds GREAT, I'm stoked.

      Delete
  2. ooh, ooh, I loved Guernsey AND Bernadette! Both so lovely but so different.

    ReplyDelete