2.05.2018

read in January


When Josh and I got home from Christmas traveling we both fell victim to the Christmas Sickness, and I nursed an intense head cold basically until a day or two before going back to school on the 8th. I feel like my body was like "I have been holding this off for so long, and now that you've got a break from school and you don't have holiday responsibilities, we're going to suffer." I slept a lot! I extremely lost my voice! I had a very bad headache! I was inhaling day- and nyquil! You know how it goes.

This sickness, besides being a bodily-enforced time of rest, was also a HUGE boost to my 2018 reading stats in that, after I became bored with playing the Sims on Dec 30 and 31, I read a book every day until the 7th. Some of them were comic collections, but I'm still counting them! I also actually used my ereader, please give me accolades. I rode the reading wave until the end of January and ended up reading 14 books. It's really nice to look at my reading challenge on Goodreads and see quite a few books there already. What an absolute boon.

So: what I read. I'll lump the comic volumes together, but other than that this'll be chronological.

  • The Coldest City / Antony Johnson - I read this because it's the source material for Atomic Blonde, and guess what: the movie is better. This is a fairly sparse comic, and the movie has more depth and character development. Plus, one of the best things about the movie was how music and sound were constructed around the story, and obviously that's not part of the experience of reading a book. 
  • From Here to Eternity / Caitlin Doughty - I've been a fan of Caitlin Doughty for awhile, and so when I learned that she had another book coming out I knew I had to read it. This book is thoughtful, funny, and will make you want to write an advance directive. For starters, if I get embalmed when I die, I will come back and haunt whoever is responsible to the seventh generation. 
  • Rosemary's Baby / Ira Levin - Speaking of hauntings, sort of! This book has an increasingly tense and creepy tone, and even if you know what happens and what the situation is, it is still an extremely good read. I haven't seen the movie for various reasons, but I think pretty much everyone knows the jist of the story. Trust me when I say that this book is better than you think it will be. Also, you will hate her husband, TW for sexual violence. 
  • Akata Witch / Nnedi Okorafor - Magic school story set in Nigeria! It's very good! There are heaps of adventures and a different concept of magic than I am used to. I have the second book on hold, but realistically probably won't read it until school is done. 
  • Monstress, v. 1-2 / Marjorie M. Liu, Sana Takeda - I read this because it was on Jenny's 2017 reading wrap-up, and she made it sound extremely excellent. She was right! The art in this series is absolutely stunning, the mythology is fascinating, and it is so refreshing to see so many women on the page. 
  • Hostage / Guy Delisle - This book is monotonous an that is a compliment! It's about a Doctors Without Borders administrator who is kidnapped and held for an extended period of time. It does an excellent job of illustrating how entirely boring it was to be held captive. Guy Delisle is a recurring fave of mine, and while this was a departure from his usual travelogues, both his storytelling and drawing style suit the story extremely well. 
  • M / Jon J. Muth - This was only fine. M is arguably the precursor to film noir, so it's an important movie. This book is a comic-ization of the movie, with paintings of various frames. It feels a little bit unnecessary? Like the art is good but what does the book itself contribute to the story of the movie? I don't know. 
  • Mr. Higgins Comes Home / Mike Mignola, Warwick Johnson Cadwell - A v short, v fun little send-up of vampire stories. 
  • Silk, v. 0-2 / Robbie Thompson, et al - As you may have heard, and which I heard from Alice's 2017 wrap-upSilk is truly excellent and so well done. I was sometimes a little thrown off when the artist changed issue to issue. It has also been cancelled, apparently, so eff you Marvel. 
  • Iron Cast / Destiny Soria - Another book I learned about via Jenny's 2017 wrap-up. It's an alternate history story set just before prohibition, where there are people with special abilities like constructing an illusion by reciting poetry or making people feel an emotion by playing the violin. The friendship between the two main characters is central to the story, and their respective romances are secondary, which is refreshing. It's a good book, and damn I love friendship. 
  • Horrorstor / Grady Hendrix - I wrote about this one previously. 
And that's it! I'm fairly certain that February's reading tallies will be much, much smaller than January. When I graduate I'm going to dedicate some serious time to fun reading. 

5 comments:

  1. This is so impressive, but I'm sorry that it was because you were so ill! From Here to Eternity is on my list of Things To Read One Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, and it's a series of essays so it goes pretty quickly. Highly recommend.

      Delete
  2. Wow, way to make the best of blahhh week! Added a bunch of these to my TBR because I'm INTRIGUED, lady! INTRIGUED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love Guy Delisle and had no idea he did stuff other than travelogues, so thanks for discovering that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also wrote/illustrated a couple of little books about parenting (I think they're called "how to be a terrible parent" or something like that), which are pretty funny. Have you read Jerusalem?? I love it.

      Delete