2.21.2018

"You're more like Sarah Conner, and in the first movie too, before she could do chin-ups"


The movies in order of the screenshots from my last post ARE:

  • Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  • Kedi
  • The Man from UNCLE
  • Ocean's 11
  • Terminator

After seeing Thor: Ragnarok and being so extremely delighted by it, I resolved to make a point of watching more of Taika Waititi's movies. Hunt For the Wilderpeople was first on the docket and came highly recommended by some pals, and I am not exaggerating in the least when I say that it has quickly taken its rightful place as one of my favourite movies. It's about grief and family and it is hilarious and poignant, I cannot urge you strongly enough to see it at your soonest opportunity, and then to watch it again soon after that. It's joyful and sad and funny and I love it. I also love New Zealand, and want to go back.

PICTURE THIS: your husband announces that he's downloaded a documentary about cats in Istanbul and shows you the trailer, asking if you'd like to watch it. Of course you would, you love cats, and turns out it is a delightful and heartfelt look at cats and the ways cities change over time. It's called Kedi and you're so glad you're married to such a lovely man.

LISTEN, The Man from UNCLE is a cinematic masterpiece, here I stand I can do no other. I could argue the merits of this movie all day (along with another perennial fave, Sahara, of COURSE), but I don't need to, since you need only to watch it to be UTTERLY CHARMED.

I watched Ocean's 11 and it made me even more excited to see Ocean's 8.

My phone's lockscreen is a picture of Arnold sitting on a rock, surrounded by (taxidermied) woodland creatures. I've been asked MULTIPLE TIMES "Oh, is that Josh?" only to have to reply "no....it's Arnold Schwarzenegger" so imagine my embarrassment when I ALSO had to admit to never having seen any of the Terminator movies except for portions of (maybe?) Terminator 3 which I saw in a hotel in Las Vegas after my pals and I realized we hated Las Vegas and before we went to see Ka which is a Cirque du Soliel show which still, years later, haunts me in a good way. ANYWAYS cut to Movie Cocktail Club and a double feature of Terminator and Terminator 2 (the 6th movie I watched this year, you get a fun bonus for the next guessing post) and I am very glad to have filled a severe gap in my Arnold watching history. Terminator was fun and good, featured some special effects that we laughed at now but I'm sure were amazing then, and a story line which maybe wasn't the sleekest but which I enjoyed.

If you only see one of these movies I have to strongly encourage you to make it Hunt for the Wilderpeople, you will not regret it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment