2.29.2016

My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag / Jolie Kerr


   This book is about cleaning and I am totes smitten with it. Who knew. My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag...And Other Things You Can't Ask Martha came into my life via the Get Booked podcast and promptly used some dish soap mixed with warm water to wash away my reading slump (thank you for your cure suggestions, you lovely people) and by the time I was on page 8 (literally) I had given it am emphatic five stars, with some of my enthusiasm drained by the end but only because this book seems overtly aimed at het/cis women who are, ostensibly, in charge of cleaning (why you gotta be like that, Kerr). HOWEVER, that does not detract from the SHEER USEFULNESS of this book, I used it THIS VERY MORNING to help me clean something.

   This is a book that makes liberal use of all-caps and exclamation marks and drrrrrrragged out words and is exceedingly self-aware. Marie Kondo is probably a genius but probably also crazy. Jolie Kerr is also probably a genius and knows that she can come off a bit bonkers. These two women (along with Gretchen Rubin, if I ever actually manage to finish a book of hers instead of starting it and saying "yesssss" and then falling off the wagon a third of the way through) are going to whip my life into shape, I can feel it.

   This book has it all, including a well-laid-out index which you can use in case of emergency. I got this book from the library but I'm going to buy a copy to keep on hand (and I'm in the midst of a serious possessions-purge so that is SAYING SOMETHING).

   Jolie Kerr also has a column!

3 comments:

  1. OK as boring as the topic of cleaning sounds, your enthusiasm makes me want to pick this up. Also, I mean, I could use tips on how to clean as my current method is "guess I'm living with that stain".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is WEIRDLY entertaining. And it's not overwhelming! And it has so many helpful tables.

      Delete
  2. Ask a Clean Person! I have gotten some valuable tips from that column in the past, so I'm confident that a whole book from her would be well worth owning.

    ReplyDelete